Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Greetings!

Hello everybody. I am Desmond. Being an avid reader of Medical Science and a first-aider myself, I have been recently motivated to start a blog about first-aid. My aims are to:

  •        Teach basic first-aid
  •        Teach you to recognize signs and symptoms   
  •        Debunk popular myths
  •        Review first-aid products
  •        Provide advice on first-aid kit setups
  •      Keep you in the loop of first-aid happenings in Singapore and around the World.

I have with me in my team, a wonderful lady by the name of Katrina. She is a medic working for a private ambulance firm. I have invited her over to give us some valuable advice on first-aid, and I believe her contributions will be most vital to this blog. Also, not forgetting another important woman in my team and in my life, she’s my grandma. She was very supportive and was awesome enough to agree to become my model for First-Aid Kid. We are from Singapore and we hope to impart our knowledge on the layperson, no matter which corner of the World you come from (because we are all made of the same stuff).

As first-aiders, our key role is to buy as much time as possible for the casualty through early assessment and treatment, until professional help arrives. We will never know when we might need those skills, but it is good to learn and retain these life-long, and life-saving assets.

If you have any doubts, please don't hesitate to ask us through the comments section. We will try our best to answer your questions in this blog. However, being a first-aider has its limitations – We are not doctors, not nurses, and not professional EMTs (Emergency Medical Technician). But we will try to answer your queries to the best of our knowledge. If need be, I shall do intensive research to satisfy your curiosity. I welcome suggestions if you have any ideas on how to improve this blog, or if you have other better first-aid methods about dealing with a particular situation. You can share them to the public by e-mailing those suggestions to me at h_m_tong@yahoo.com.sg

Lastly, speaking at a human capacity, I do make mistakes from time to time (yeah, nobody is perfect). So you are also welcomed to correct me when I make a mistake. That being said, let’s start learning from each other! 



No comments:

Post a Comment